Howard provided an update on the Cooper campus on Pratt and Kedzie. Construction is almost complete. JCFS will continue to operate offices in space they currently occupy adjacent to the JCC. Howard continued to provide background on many of the programs under JCFS auspices, including HIAS, JVS and other initiatives benefiting families in West Rogers Park and beyond. The Duman Entrepreneurship Center, which JCFS / JVS operates has already helped 3 local businesses and will continue to be a fantastic resource for our development efforts.
The Abe and Ida Cooper Center will accommodate a range of agency programs for clients with disabilities and their families.
- Virginia Frank Child Development Center-counseling, therapeutic nursery, drop-in for young families and consultation with a focus on the use of their Relationship-Based Phase Model to help young children with special emotional needs.
- Integrated Pediatric Interventions-speech-language, occupational and developmental therapies offered both in clinic and at home that provide children with comprehensive, individualized treatments and plans to best address a child's diagnosis and unique developmental needs.
- Services for People with Disabilities-information and referral for people with disabilities and their families, support groups, respite, socialization opportunities, residential supports.
- Encompass-a response to the recognition that adults with disabilities deserve to live in an integrated, community-based setting to the fullest extent possible.
- Legal Advocacy Center-consultation, information, referrals and legal representation in special education law, mental health and developmental disabilities law and adult guardianship law.
JCFS has been responsive to the needs of the community through the yeshiva program at their therapeutic day school. Through the JCFS Therapeutic Yeshiva program, children who are challenged by a range of emotional and developmental disorders are provided an educational opportunity for success unlike any other in the Chicago metropolitan area. Therapeutic Yeshiva, an arm of our Therapeutic Day School, offers religiously observant families the joyful experience of having their child study history, math and other traditional courses, while also fulfilling the mitzvah of learning Torah.
Another important program in West Rogers Park is Encompass. Encompass uses person-centered planning, to provide and/or facilitate a full array of financially sustainable Jewish community-based, best practices services and supports for adults across the spectrum of intellectual/developmental disabilities (IDD) and across all socio-economic levels and religious levels of observance.
We are very fortunate to have organizations like JCFS that are so invested in our neighborhood. Their services and staff contribute tremendously to the local community and its economy. Please take a moment to visit their website at www.JCFS.org to learn more about their work and how it can benefit a family, friend, neighbor or local business owner.